In order to display the Natural Ingredient Resource Center “Truth in Labeling” Pledge Seal, or to be able to have your listing on this website, participants must voluntarily pledge to follow the NIRC Criteria for labeling natural ingredients and products.
Participants who submit the truth in labeling pledge will be directed to a web page where they can download the web graphic for display on qualifying web sites or for use on appropriate product labels, brochures and other promotional material.
This is a voluntary program which is free of charge – we rely on donations and sponsorship for maintaining our website. The NIRC does not certify ingredients, products or police compliance. Display of the Seal does not in any way, imply endorsement by the NIRC.
NATURAL PRODUCT LABELING GUIDELINES
The NIRC Guidelines mirror those established by the USDA for organic food, and are inspired in part by the hard work of the organizations working to establish similar labeling guidelines for the term “organic” for cosmetics. Please visit the NIRC Resources web pages for links and contact information for those groups.
100% Natural/All Natural
The NIRC guidelines are that products labeled as “100 percent Natural” or “All Natural” can only contain ingredients that fit the NIRC criteria for natural ingredients.
The NIRC guidelines are that in order for products to be labeled as “Natural,” 95% of the ingredients must fit the NIRC criteria for natural ingredients. The remaining 5% may come from ingredients that do not meet the NIRC Criteria for natural, and which DO NOT include synthetic fragrances, artificial colors or ingredients from petrochemicals. The toxicity of each ingredient must be minimal. All percentages are based upon weight.
Made with Natural Ingredients/Made from Natural Ingredients
Products labeled as “Made with/from Natural Ingredients” must contain at least 70% natural ingredients that meet the NIRC Criteria. The remaining 30% may come from ingredients that do not meet the NIRC Criteria for natural, however, products that include synthetic fragrances, artificial colors or ingredients from petrochemicals MAY NOT display the NIRC “Seal”. All percentages are based upon weight.
The NIRC has made an exception for “True Soap” that fits the following criteria;
- “True Soap” may be labeled as “natural soap” ONLY if the ingredients that go into the soap are lye plus 100% natural ingredients, according to the NIRC Criteria for natural ingredients.
- “True Soap” may be labeled as “natural soap” ONLY if all of the ingredients are listed. We require that “True Soap”, labeled as “natural soap”, have ingredient labeling in order to help prevent the misuse of the “natural soap” label.
- Soap labeled as “natural soap” may not contain the addition of any synthetic or artificial ingredients including but not limited to artificial colors, synthetic fragrances, man-made vitamins, solvent extracted oils or additional glycerin.
- Please see: “Is there such a thing as “Natural Soap”?”
Natural Ingredient Resource Center “Truth in Labeling” Pledge
:: I voluntarily pledge that if and when I label an ingredient as “natural”, the ingredient will fit the Natural Ingredient Resource Center Criteria for natural ingredients.
:: I voluntarily pledge that if and when I label products using the term “natural”, the products will be labeled according to the Natural Ingredient Resource Center Guidelines for labeling natural products.
:: And I voluntarily pledge that if and when I display the NIRC ‘Truth in Labeling’ logo on a website, brochure or other marketing materials, I will primarily be offering products deemed “natural” as defined by the Natural Ingredient Resource Center guidelines. Furthermore I will disclose when a product on my website or marketing materials contains synthetic ingredients, such as fragrance oils or petrochemicals, in a way that is clear to the consumer.
PLEASE NOTE: By submitting this form, your email address will be added to the NIRC mailing list. Your email address will never be shared or sold to any third-party organization or company. If you prefer not to receive emails from the NIRC, you will be given an opportunity to “unsubscribe” upon receipt of any and all NIRC email correspondence.